Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Planning a trip--should I take the dolls?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member katherinecusick's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2006
    Posts
    482
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi! I'm taking DD to visit my in-laws next week and trying to decide whether or not to take the dolls along. My in-laws live on a lake and I was thinking it would be a lovely setting to try to make an album. But I guess I'm a bit hesistant since they don't really know about the AG obsession here at our house yet. Is it silly of me to even worry what they might think? Would you bring the dolls or leave them at home? Thanks for your advice! Katie

  2. #2
    Polly Marie
    Guest Polly Marie's Avatar

    Post

    This may be a way to introduce your in-laws to AG dolls. I don't see why they would consider it strange that you photographed the dolls at the lake to share with a doll board.
    Hope you do decide to take the dolls along and then post your album here. I love scenes of nature! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Polly Marie

  3. #3
    Wickedgood
    Guest Wickedgood's Avatar

    Post

    Perhaps you might consider bringing just one or two. That way you can "introduce" your obsession, without overwhelming your in-laws.

    Then again, my ex-mother-in-law used to carry around a stuffed animal cat everywhere she went (usually poking out her purse). She would talk to it, and act like it was my husband's and his sisters' sister. It was rather bizarre - and it definately made MY family kind of uncomfortable.

    So - maybe not. I guess it depends on what kind of relationship you already have with these people [img]smile.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Jeanette M.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2003
    Posts
    1,239
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I always take a doll or two (sometimes more) when I travel. Some of my family thinks I am a little odd (mostly my 20-something nieces and nephews), but I have reached the point of not being concerned about what they think of my dolly habit!

  5. #5
    Inactive Member smwoodsie2004's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8th, 2006
    Posts
    249
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That would be hard for me too. I am still using dd as a front, although my mom collects Star Wars, father Green Bay Packers items, & I do have a grandma that has a couple dolls from her era. But still I would be second guessing myself.

    <font color="#33CCCC" size="1">[ July 19, 2006 05:33 PM: Message edited by: djsnjones ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member *AG4Ever*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2006
    Posts
    52
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think you should probaby just take one doll. That way they won't be taking up much space and it won't be too overwhelming for your in-laws.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member kitandkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 23rd, 2006
    Posts
    949
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I agree that I would bring one or two dolls.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Katie148's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    457
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    To second what others have said, I would bring along one or two dolls. It would be a nice way to introduce the family to your collection. Consider yourself lucky that you have a daughter you can use as your "excuse" - they're far less likely to think the doll obsession is odd if you can say they're just for your daughter. Us childless people have no way to make excuses for our collections. [img]wink.gif[/img]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member MaryCarly's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 20th, 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It would be easier to travel with one doll, but two dolls might make the pics more fun.

    I personally think you should take doll food, and many changes of clothes, and also talk to the dolls, but then I am in a strange mood today. Also, I worked very hard to hide my things from my inlaws for years, until I finally just got tired of it. It was such a relief to get it out in the open, but then I live hours away from then so I only have to see the censure in my mother in laws eyes a couple times a year. My dd told her that it was just like her collecting crystal, only more fun, and way cheaper. That shut my mother in law up, but I still got the looks. I turned 45 this year, my children are practically grown, so I am at a place where I don't much care what anyone thinks. Looking back, I wish I had had the courage to do this sooner. I made a lot of extra stress for myself, but then I can't go back and do it the other way so who knows if being open sooner would have really been better. I told you I was in a strange mood. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    What ever you decide, I hope you have a wonderful time!

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Kenshinchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 19th, 2006
    Posts
    1,024
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Count me in the 1-2 camp! If you're feeling VERY timid, though, you could always kind of bring it up to the in-laws this time and bring the dolls next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •